One thing this columnist will not apologize for: I am a proponent of strict regulation of pitbull ownership, and would support a ban on breeding the dog altogether. Of all the brands of naive do-gooderism out there, its the “pitbulls are so sweet” crowd that infuriates me the most. These types love to say that pitbulls are “misunderstood,” or that “there are no bad dogs, just bad owners.” This is so stupid, especially as an argument against regulation. Sure, there are a bunch of well-trained, sweet pitbulls out there. And I would never advocate doing harm to any (non-ferocious) currently-living pit bull. But there is no good reason to continue breeding them. Like all modern domestic dogs, pit bulls are not a “species” that we preserve for preservation’s sake. They are the result of generations of intentionally breeding large, aggressive dogs with other large, aggressive dogs, originally to subdue large animals such as bulls.

Anywho, that’s a big, long introduction to the link to this story, which details testimony in the case of Erin Ingram, a young girl who was viciously mauled by a neighbor’s pit bull in Dekalb County, such that half of one arm had to be amputated, and she now has “limited function in her remaining arm.” It was an “accident” says the defense. Yes, like its an “accident” when my pet rattlesnake, who I let slither around the neighborhood, bites someone and they die.

From the AJC:

Eight-year-old Erin Ingram can be heard screaming  on the 911 call, begging a  neighbor to run her car over the two pitbulls mauling her in front of her Lithonia home.

“Please get them off of me! Please help me,” Erin is heard saying in the eight-minute tape. “They’re hurting me. Please run them over!”

[. . .]

“When one would come after me, the other would go back more after her,” [neighbor] Gaines-Poythress said through tears. “They wouldn’t let her go.”

The dogs also refused to release Erin after Police Sgt. R.B. Peeler ran at the animals and hit them full force with a metal baton. After repeated blows, the animals did stop the attack but did not back up, instead growing and snapping at the officer.

Misunderstood, indeed. Video below.

le biscuette

le biscuette was born in the small town of Elba, Alabama, where her family managed the now-defunct "Bargain Town" retail franchise. Her family fled Elba to Dothan, Alabama in 1990 after the famous Elba Flood. She moved to Atlanta is 2003, where she currently serves as a hobbyist blogger and an advocate for the morbidly obese. You can learn more about the Elba Flood here

40 comments for “Erin Ingram case further compelling evidence to ban or regulate pitbull breeding

1. dubv
    January 7, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Excellent summary of pit nutters and their do-gooders. It is like people who want to drive tractor trailers as recreational vehicles on our roads arguing that tractor trailers are misunderstood and that in the hands of a good driver they are not inordinately dangerous.

2. Alan b
    February 15, 2012 at 1:19 am

Pitnutters, cmon really. These are good dogs. Any dog is capeable of doing harm. In the 70s it was dobermans, 80s german shepards, 90s rottweillers, and in the 2000s it’s Pitbulls being demonized. Did u know that the dog that bit the most people last year were golden retrievers? Yes they are powerful. Yes they have attacked people. But that can be said of any of the dogs I mentioned above. Why do people that love the dogs have to be labeled with stupid names. When are we gonna put the responciability in the hands of the owners n not the dogs? If u treat any dog badly it will grow into a “vicious dog”. Oh and I don’t know where u live but I live in a pretty bad neighborhood and there’s packs of dogs out there that turn ferrell. They go back to a pack mentality. And lots of these dogs aren’t Pitbulls. U losers found something to hate n are just crying for attencion. If u came to my house my purebred pit would lick n kiss your face all day if u let her. To say you want to eliminate something you don’t understand us the same as hitler killing 6,000,000 + Jews. You would rather see a breed of dog go extinct rather than giving them a chance. Too funny. You are entitled to your misinformed opinion I guess. To be human and want to see a breed go by the wayside is beyond me

• Bill Vollrath
      May 29, 2012 at 1:23 am

But Golden Retrievers might bite once in fear and run away not having done too much damage. A pitbull won’t stop until it has killed whatever it’s attacking. Nobody hates anything except seeing an 8 year old girl having her arm amputated. I hate that. Yes, let the breed go extinct.

• arni
        June 16, 2012 at 9:04 pm

You are making a sweeping assumption based on your personal opion. Look at the results of the national temperament testing association. It indicates pitbulls as 83% passing rate; which is better than collies!!!! Get hard facts, they mean more than opinions.

• September 12, 2012 at 10:36 am

im sorry but pits are not born the way they act they are trained to do that i feel bad for the little girl but you know what its not the dogs fault its the owners they should’t have trained the dog that way…..im sorry but people like you just like o judge the way animals are but im going to repeat myself i do feal real sorry for the little girl but you know what dont ban pits ban the owner pits are sweet inteligent kind sweet famly dogs and like i said before its the owners not the dogs fault

• September 12, 2012 at 10:38 am

they are judged because of the way they are and not for what they feel im sorry but the owner should have gotin beat a feew times for that

• Rontoo Hargrove
        May 28, 2013 at 4:05 pm

False. A pitbull is no different in the particular case than any other breed of dog. I own 4 Pit bull terriers. Have owned multiple my entire life, have even rescued dogs directly out of the fights. Not once have I been bit. However as a 10 year old child I was attacked my a Golden Retriever while I was with my parents playing golf. Argue that one.

• arni
          May 28, 2013 at 7:59 pm

Interestingly pitbulls have a greater pass rate than golden retrievers by statistics from the american temperment testing association. In fact they surpass collies and a number of other breeds identified as “more friendly”.

• Nat
      August 13, 2012 at 1:11 pm

I agree!! I have one pitbull and 3 Pomeranians. My pitbull is afraid with sparky (mini pom 5lbs). Even Pomeranians are bite!!

3. Hailey L
    April 17, 2012 at 11:38 am

Come on people, it it a fact that you are more likely to be attacked by labs, chihuahuas, etc. then a Pitbull. The only difference is that when a Pitbull does attack they have the muscle and power to back them up, which is why they have a bad name. Any dog that is mistreated or trained to be vicious is going to attack. If you actually research it Pitbulls are one of the worlds sweatiest dogs you can get there are pictures everywhere with them playing with 2 YEAR OLDS! and loving them. Its the people who own the vicious Pitbulls who should be punished for abusing their right to own a dog. Every Pitbull, Bull dog, terrier I’ve ever met are the most sweet happy dogs I know. People need to know that you need to punish the deed not the breed. Saying that you have nothing against the happy well behaved friendly Pitbulls but yet saying that their breed should be demolished, is doing quite the opposite. People need to see the good in these dogs again. There is a story from the humane society on youtube about a Pitbull, who was used for dog fights, and they had rescued him from about an hour long fight. All that dog did while he was in so much pain was wag his tail in excitement whenever anyone came near him, and would lick all of his ‘new found friends’. All this dog wanted to do was to make his owner happy, a Pitbull trained specifically to do harm to others just wanted to love and be loved. Its the people who are responsible for Pitbull attacks, not the breed itself.

4. Thoracias
    April 22, 2012 at 2:19 pm

I wish my beautiful loving sweet-natured pit bull WAS as vicious as you claim all pits are…then I could sic her on your dumb ass.
    Unfortunately (for me), she wouldn’t bite you if you were covered in bacon grease and gravy! Get a life and go write something that is based on actual FACTS, not ONE case about ONE dog that was obviously not raised properly!

5. haterhater
    April 22, 2012 at 3:19 pm

I would like to say that the persons that demonize pit bulls are as uninformed as any one can be. The go by the broadcast and news printed alerts about pitts.
    They have preconceived notions and/or jump on the bandwagon purely for the opportunity to write a story.
    Labs and smaller breed dogs bite more often and for no other reason than any dog would but they do in fact bite. But you cant get a news anchor position by telling stories of man attacked by rabid chihuahua or woman terrorized by insane cockapoo or jack terrier rips a little boy apart…oh way. They don’t because they are too small so they have to write about the worst they can dig up. This author is that person. Find a story she can get people behind and write about it and stir the pot.

When they find 2 stories they will ALWAYS go with the one with the most dirt, the most garbage and dramatize it as hard as they can with out telling lies. Which I feel this one probably does but of course that is my opinion only.

Any how. Pitts are not the holy terrors she is making them out to be.
    I got a pitt rescued from the fighting ring and the only thing that dog ever growled at was the squirrel stealing his kibble on the back deck.

6. Raymond
    June 5, 2012 at 8:34 am

This is a world of human beings. Not dogs.

Dogs that impose significant risk to human beings should be STRICTLY controlled.

Please wake up and get priorities right.

7. Chris
    June 9, 2012 at 11:44 am

I understand your argument. I love Pitbulls and am one of those “there is no such thing as a bad dog, only a bad owner” people. But, I agree the pit is bred to kill. Anyone who denies that is ignoring facts. Dogs like Pits, and even my little Bull Terrier were specifically bred to kill. They are strong, stubborn, strong willed and need to be controlled and handled. I owned a pit, and though she was a perfect lady, I would never allow her unsupervised with children, or outside alone. They can be great loving dogs, but they need to be given the respect of an animal that could, at any moment rip you to pieces.

I agree that breeding should be stopped. I also agree that laws should be in place to limit, regulate and control pitbull owners, and force them to be responsible owners. Too many people out there own pit bulls and treat them like poodles. Not to mention the overbreeding and lack of population control means that there are hundreds of thousands of pits killed each year in shelters.

Pitbull ownership is a serious thing, and since the people have not demonstrated the ability to understand that…or properly control their animals..there should be some intervention. I am a animal lover – dog nut – and wacko liberal, but this is just common sense. You dont see crocodiles or rattlesnakes freely owned as pets…why in hell are people allowed to own pitbulls without proving they can handle it. The tragedy involving the little girl could have been avoided, simply by proper control. And yes, the dogs should be euthenized…and dog fighting should be an offense punishable with castration.

• Tremor
      August 14, 2012 at 1:55 pm

“BRED” is an action word. It entails participation and will. Raising a dog is in another parallel description. I have a pair of pits, I bred them not to hate humans. I walk the male outside without a leash, he stays by my side and just looks at the kids coming near to pat his head. They had 8 beautiful pups, none carrying the “vicious” virus that the writer above mentioned. I will bet those who are against these dogs have NEVER owned one. It’s like saying guns should be banned because they were meant to kill. I can’t believe HIS parents were allowed to go on breeding children. Basing hatred on statistics. Psshh..

• Rontoo Hargrove
      May 28, 2013 at 4:10 pm

Pit bulls were not bred to kill. They were not a hunting dog. At first they were used as bull baiting, where they were judged on how well they performed subduing a bull. SUBDUING not KILLING. I hunt Feral Swine with my dogs and my catch dogs are pit bulls. They have never killed anything, they have however caught pigs by the ear and held them until I got there. YOU need to get your facts right.

8. Chris
    June 9, 2012 at 11:46 am

By the way…you may be missing the point. Your loving pit, and my loving pit are sweet dogs…but they can rip your face off if they wanted to. Your cockapoo cant.

• arni
      June 16, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Studies done on ft/lbs of pitts show there bite strength to be less than german shepherd or rotts; closer to the average dog actually. By the way they were originally bred to be subservient to people. Why would you breed a dog that might hurt the handlers?

• zack
        July 14, 2012 at 1:36 pm

it has nothing to do with the breed! its the training. why are people to stupid to see this. i have worked with pit bulls for my entire life and not once has anything bad happened. i am probably the nicest person you will ever meet and if people say pit bulls are all bad there’s more of a chance they’ll get hurt by me than a pit bull

9. Jon
    June 11, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Do you know how ridiculous you sound in this article? If you knew the slightest bit about the bread or about dogs in general you would know that pitbulls are not born to hurt humans. Any dog could potentially hurt a human, it is only a matter of how well they are trained. It is a fact that golden retrievers have the most recorded bites on humans in the united states. So what you wanna stop breading them too? The only reason pitbulls are even an issue is becas the media loves to pick on them.

I think they should stop breading incompetent pseudo intellectuals like yourself.

Don’t blame the bread, blame the owners

10. arni
    June 16, 2012 at 9:19 pm

If you look at the video at best that dog is 10-15 % pit. It is definitely not pure bred pit. Maybe part golden lol!!

11. Erik
    July 11, 2012 at 12:02 am

You have no idea what you are talking about. No reason to breed them huh? How about for a great loyal family pet. I’ve been a pitbull owner my entire life. Have owned 6 different pitbulls 2 currently and have yet to have a mean one. All mine have been sweet loving animals. The two I have now are great with my kids, other dogs, cats , and people. This whole article is based on what you think and not facts. How about all the German Sheppard attacks or even all the small dog breeds that bite constantly. I guess those are still great celebrated breeds. How about you keep your ignorant opinions to yourself. Or maybe get to know a good pitbull and judge. Actually you are more than welcome to meet mine then pass judgment.

12. Arni
    July 11, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Lets deal with statistics; facts, not opinion or emotion.
    1) ATTS.org, a non profit tempermant testing organization has the passing rate for american pit bull terrier as of 7/10/12 is 86.8% (and on the rise). This pass rate was higher than many breeds including, but certrainly not limited to the German pointer, dalmation, giant schnauzer, great dane, bassett hound, beagle, collie, and many many others. Conclusion: pit bulls have very stable temperments when compared to the average dog.
    2) National geographic tested bite strength of Rottweiller, german shepherd, and pit bull. Lowest bite strength went to the pit bull terrier.
    So; body of reserch points to 2 facts. FACT Pits have better tempermants than most breeds of dogs and FACT their bite is no worse (in fact less deadly) than other breeds.
    Also, anecdotally speaking, dogs get catagorized as pit bulls all the time that are simply mutts with short hair; especially when their is a bite concerned.
    So Chris, Raymond and others please stop the hystrionic thinking based on myths and the media circus and look at facts. Your line of thinking got millions of jews killed in WWII (another fact). IF we left things up to simple minded people like you we would still beleive the world to be flat.

• Bill Vollrath
      July 13, 2012 at 2:18 pm

I do not believe those stats Arni. I think there were errors made and the results were probably drawn from a poor cross section of not enough animals of different breeds. Also, I take offense to being called “simple-minded, ignorant, opinionated,an incompetent pseudo intellectual and a dumb-ass”…nor do I approve of others calling pitbull owners “pit-nutters” or whatever. I wish people could discuss these things without calling each other derogatory names. I know those weren’t all your words…Your derogatory, name-calling word was “simple-minded.” I am not simple-minded, nor do I think the original poster is. Thank you very much.

• Arni
        July 13, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Bill the ATTS is a very legitmate organization that has tested thousands of dogs since 1977. Their methodology is sound and your point of lack of appropriate cross section and statistical errors theory is a weak argument; it’s a little like throwing a cooked pea at an abrams tank. I’m sure that if you look at their site, the cognitive part of your mind will have to acknowledge that they point a serious flaw in the more reactive/generalized thinking. They have tested over 800 pitbulls thorught the US (thus eliminating regional/geographical/cultural differences). Many breeds have had testing done, thousands of dogs on just about any breed you can think of. I fully agree that if a dog is aggressive it should be put down, but genrealizing to an entire breed is just flawed logic. Labs, goldens, and various other inocuous breeds have killed and shown aggression as well. The problem with pitbulls is that it is common for people to mislable a dog as a pitbull. A pitbull is a specifice UKC breed. A purebred papered american pitbull terrier is actually very uncommom. When people report a dog as a pitbull they MOST often are not identifying it correctly. Case in point if you go to Wikepedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_bull) to look up pitbull it intially defines it as a classification and not a breed. They include the american staffordshire terrier, american bull terrier, the bull terrier, and the american bulldog as pitbull dogs. They do go on to clarify the differences between the breeds but it does point to misclassification and mislableing that occurs. So becasue of this confusion, 1 breed of dog takes the responsibility of 5 breeds and is misrepresented in statistics. Additonjally, many dogs with short coats are labled as pitbulls and are not. I would strongly encourage you to research this issue if you are going to take a public stand. If you do, you find the following.
        1) True American Pitbull terriers have stable temperments.
        2) Many myths have been dispelled about the breed(lock-jaw, crushing jaw strength, don’t stop till they kill)
        2) Bite/fatality reports are not accurate due to the mislabling of the breed

Bill (and others); numbers, facts, and statistics don’t lie.

• Bill Vollrath
          July 30, 2012 at 10:26 am

Whatever…I’m still wary of anything that looks like a Pitbull…Peace

• Tremor
            August 14, 2012 at 1:59 pm

• Bill Vollrath
            September 12, 2012 at 1:12 am

I wish there was a “Reply” button on “Tremor’s” post below…He or she said;

“If I were to base my judgement on your last statement, my daughter should be wary of anyone in chat who looks like you as well.”

Putting the insult aside, I wanted to say, “GOOD! You should teach your daughter to be wary of ANYONE and EVERYONE in internet chatrooms, ESPECIALLY ones who look like me! In fact, if your daughter is talking to middle-aged men in chat rooms on the internet, I’d say you should maybe not allow that!”

But anyways, my fear of pitbulls is not centered upon how they look…it is based on statistical evidence that shows that on average, pitbulls are the most dangerous breed of dog out there.

13. jodashe@gmail.com
    September 4, 2012 at 6:46 pm

What loser has this website? No doubt a do good er in his/her 1/2 a brain. Ive had Pitts for over 30 years 8 children NEVER I REPEAT NEVER has one of my pits showed aggression to one of my children and I have had 100s of pits (litters included) They are very intuitive animals and defiantly dont like people that I or my family dont like and yes they will let them know.But that is there job right? So i invite the owner of this B.S website over to my house bet you leave quick loser.

• Just a Watchman
      September 5, 2012 at 2:26 pm

So, in defense of your dogs, you’re going to have them bite people who are afraid of them? What a goof! lol

14. Anthony Ferranouthor disgust me with their ignorance of the pitbull beed. You might as well be saying all African Americans are theives & all,white people smoke meth. You should do some research before writing such hateful things. Chiuauas bite more p
    September 11, 2012 at 4:46 pm

“People” like this author disgust me with their ignorance of the pitbull breed. You might as well be saying all African Americans are theives & all,white people smoke meth. You should do some research before writing such hateful things. Chiuauas bite more people than pitbulls every year so why aren’t you trying to ban them?

15. Marissa
    September 11, 2012 at 6:24 pm

You know what’s funny? The reason why I am still alive, is that a pit bull saved my life when I was a kid. That’s right. A PIT BULL saved my life when I was a KID. A female dog leaped at me, going for my throat. And out of no where, a male pit bull caught her in mid-air, and tackled her to the ground. Wouldn’t even let her up. I didn’t know that dog from Steve. It was a stray. If Pits were viscous, wouldn’t it would have been that Pit that was trying to kill me, and not a random female dog? You have such ignorance, it astounds me.

16. Ar
    September 13, 2012 at 9:17 pm

So Bill when you cite statistics to support your point they are valid but when others cite statistics there must be something flawed? Your selective acceptance to statistics based on your subjectivity I think illustrates your difficulty to approach an argument in an objective manner.

“I understand that there are biases in all studies…People who hypothesize the pits are not dangerous will only test the ones that have already proven to be trustworthy and have been well trained, whereas those who hypothesize that pits are dangerous will only test the ones that have been raised by idiots who train them to be aggressive. There comes a point when everyone must make their own decision about whether or not to own a pitbull…and how they will raise it.”

• Kate
      October 10, 2012 at 9:57 pm

At first I have got to admit, I was against the pitbull breed, until I actually met one. And then another, and then another. You can not pass blame on a dog for which the owner is in control of. I have a pit that was mistreated and abused that I adopted and I trained her to be the dog she is. The goal for this breed is to have restrictions on who can OWN them. If you treat the dog right, they will respect all humans. It was that way with wolves for god sake. Look up the history. People are not just defending these dogs for no reason!

The reason for all of this information saying that they are bad and vicious dogs is because they have the potential to be a vicious dog. Except if you look at the cite for the American Temperament Test Society, look at what an American Pitbull Terrior’s passing rate is better, but about the same as a GOLDEN RETRIEVER!!!!. So don’t tell me they are vicious

17. Daz
    September 16, 2012 at 8:26 am

The dog that was involved in the attack of this poor little girl doesn’t even look like an American Pitbull Terrior (APBT). It looks like a mongrel cross breed. Doesn’t even have any physical attribtes consistent with pitbull type breeds.

18. Alex
    September 21, 2012 at 11:55 am

Blah, it’s pieces like these that break my heart. Do Pit Bulls have the potential to be violent and/or dangerous? Of course they do, just like any other dog you could own. A little less than a year ago I was bitten by our toy Pomeranian and his bite went through my finger on both sides, hitting both sides of the bone in my finger. Subcutaneous tissue was protruding from my the wound, I had to get stitches, and the finger was immobilized for nearly three weeks. I lost the nail and a decent degree of feeling in the pad of the finger, and the lump of scar tissue is still there. To this day, I am still wary of being near his face, feeding him, or bathing him. He doesn’t realize what he did wrong and always want to cuddle or give kisses, but all I can think about was the blood all over my sidewalk. A few days later (already scheduled) we went to the local shelter to look for a new dog, as our older corgie/collie mix had passed away and left the pom lonely and heartbroken. We had tried several other dogs but none responded non-violently to the pom, or vice-versa. My mother finally told me to go back to the kennels and see if there was one that I liked. His name was Max, and he’s 50% American Pit Bull, 25% Lab and 25% Staffordshire Terrier. He was young, and had come from a bad situation; we are fairly certain he was regularly abused by the previous owners. He’s the world’s biggest baby, and he’s scared of literally everything (bikes, window screens, squirrels…). They got along swimmingly, my mother finally relented (any adoptable dog must pass rigorous behavioral exams to ensure the safety of the adopters), and now he is sitting happily at my feet, nibbling my toes (his way of telling me to stop playing with the click-y light up box and pay attention to HIM)and rubbing his head on my shin. I love this pup more than anything in the world, and I have risked my own life for his more than once. I would do anything for the most loyal and protecting friend I have in this world, and he wants nothing more in return than a pat on the head and to give me buckets of kisses.

19. Equos
    September 23, 2012 at 10:44 am

These are the nicest dogs you will ever meet! Obviously you have never taken the time to be around these wonderful Animals because you are posting hate like this on this website!

20. River
    October 4, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Perhaps we should stop allowing black people in the U.S. to breed or even euthanize every single member of the race because it appears that these individuals contribute disproportionately to the rates of violent crime. Does this sound like a plausible solution to preventing violence in the U.S.?

21. River
    October 4, 2012 at 9:14 pm

The purpose of my comment was to provide an example of the ridiculous ignorance and unfair generalizations of people that advocate against pit bulls as pets. You can bitch and moan all day about how dangerous pit bulls are, cite hundreds of statistics, and pass as many laws against ownership as you’d like, but the fact remains that people WILL continue to own pit bulls, just as people will continue to have abortions and sell drugs according to their wishes. There’s no amount of legislation that can change such fundamental aspects of human choice.
    People must recognize the fact that dogs operate on a much more intuitive level than humans. Dogs will quickly sense fear or malice and will react in the manner that is biologically appropriate as a canine. Just as some service dogs can somehow sense an oncoming seizure in an epileptic individual, non-service dogs are also capable of incredible intuition. I’m not surprised that many anti-pit bull proponents dislike these dogs; if I had to guess, these dogs probably don’t like them either because they can sense a prejudiced asshole from a mile away.
    Of course, I am in no way arguing that it’s appropriate for dogs to react aggressively in any situation. In the case of human-canine relationships, humans should always be prioritized as the alpha. This is one more reason why firm, consistent training of ALL dogs, regardless of the breed, is imperative. But the truth remains that many individuals are painfully ignorant when it comes to the importance of training their pets. You wouldn’t raise a child in an unsafe, fear-filled environment and then expect them to become respectful adults, would you?
    Rather than advocating against the ownership of pit bulls on the basis of genetics (which, in the case of pit bulls, are entirely too ambiguous to make a clear argument) or statistics (which have been exaggerated or even downright falsified by a media forever seeking sensational stories), the proponents of this cause should push for the improvement of breeding standards, training programs for these misrepresented dogs, and education to prevent the ignorant stereotypes of humans.

22. melissa
    October 5, 2012 at 11:06 am

Look pitbulls r not the problem….and I’m tierd of hearing that that they r dangurous to society because there not…..there no more dangerous than the dogs or cats or any other animal out there…it falls on how they were raised and who was thier owner….animals don’t just get up and decided hey I’m gonna attack and do some harm to someone or something…NO!! They were trained to do so! So if ur gonna punish someone punish the owners to the Fullest extent….it about time somene says it…if ur pitbull is put down because u trained it to fight to killl that owner should be put down as well…that owner is knowingly putting a life indanger…I don’t care if its just a dog…that’s the problem…people just think its a dog and not a family pet who’s apart of a family unit….theses animals feel bleed and hurt just like we do and if the owner puts it in a position to kill then that owner has serious problems and that owner to me is no longer human and should be put down…they have no remorse for life so why should I or any other animal lover care if that owner is put down….bottom line treat these creatures of god with respect just like want to be respected….